Let’s face it. Life can get hectic. So can some relationships. If feels like there are never enough hours in the day to check off every item on your to-do lists or to spend quality time with each other. In this fast-paced world, sometimes what we need most is a way to slow down a little bit. Fortunately, I’ve got some tips to help you do just that.
So. . . take a DEEP breath, (inhale in through your nose and exhale through your mouth). Go ahead. Breathe. Now here’s what matter’s most.
• Try Something New – Listen to a new song, try a new recipe, read a new book (use your imagination!). There are so many ways to relax and focus your mind without leaving home.
• Embrace the Experience – Even when completing an everyday task, try to immerse yourself in it, don’t just race through it. Let it be an end in itself.
• Remember to Breath – If your day starts to slip away from you or you start to feel overwhelmed. . . STOP! Take a few deep breaths to clear your head. If you follow the way I talked about breathing when you started reading this article, it will have a calming effect. Trust me… it works!
• Use All Your Senses – Even when you are doing something as simple as brushing your teeth each morning, you can enjoy a refreshing and calming experience. You will want to have a fresh mouth for your good morning kiss!
• Do or Say Something Nice to Your Partner Every Day! – Think only positive thoughts about each other. Give up being “right” about YOUR position. Being a couple is an awesome responsibility. Don’t talk about the past – focus your energy on the future. Do things that cause you both to “choose” to be happy. Be more “romantic” with each other. Demonstrate your love for each other. Speak only kind words to each other.
• Make Some New Promises to Your Partner – Making a promise is easy! Making sure you have the
incentive to stick with it is even better. What is your incentive? If your new promises to each other drive you, if you act in accordance with that drive as you move forward, you will tend to stay on track. The only reason to fail to make good on your new promises is to give less than your best effort.
• Take Another DEEP Breath! – Fill your lungs with fresh air. Go ahead. . . do it again!
• Whisper Words of Love – OR… surprise you partner by sending a “romantic” greeting card for no reason other than you want to say how much you care. Or… write your own “romantic” message. Sprinkle a few of these notes around the house (on the bathroom mirror or on their pillow, etc.), in the car, or wherever you partner may happen to look.
Larry’s Note: This article was inspired by an ad in “O” Magazine. Crest Complete toothpaste can help you smile with confidence! Yes… I’m a guy and I read “O” Magazine! 😉
Copyright © 2011 – Larry James. This idea is adapted from Larry’s books, “How to Really Love the One You’re With: Affirmative Guidelines for a Healthy Love Relationship,” “LoveNotes for Lovers: Words That Make Music for Two Hearts Dancing” and “Red Hot LoveNotes for Lovers.” Larry James is a professional speaker, author, relationship coach and an award winning nondenominational Wedding Officiant. He performs the most “Romantic” wedding ceremony you will find anywhere. Something NEW about relationships is posted every 4th day on this Relationships BLOG.
NOTE: All articles and “LoveNotes” listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.
Add Larry James as a “friend” to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Wedding BLOG” at: http://CelebrateIntimateWeddings.wordpress.com
Follow Larry’s “Networking BLOG” at: http://NetworkingHQ.wordpress.com